Computer Architecture, 5th Edition: A Quantitative Approach by John L. Hennessy & David A. Patterson
March 16, 2011
|Morgan Kaufmann is excited to announce the forthcoming publication of Computer Architecture, 5th Edition: A Quantitative Approach by John L. Hennessy & David A. Patterson. The 708 page text is due out in September 2011.|
About the Book
The computing world today is in the middle of a revolution: mobile clients and cloud computing have emerged as the dominant paradigms driving programming and hardware innovation today. The Fifth Edition of Computer Architecture focuses on this dramatic shift, exploring the ways in which software and technology in the “cloud” are accessed by cell phones, tablets, laptops, and other mobile computing devices. Each chapter includes two real-world examples, one mobile and one datacenter, to illustrate this revolutionary change.
- Updated to cover the mobile computing revolution
- Emphasizes the two most important topics in architecture today: memory hierarchy and parallelism in all its forms.
- Develops common themes throughout each chapter: power, performance, cost, dependability, protection, programming models, and emerging trends (”What’s Next”)
- Includes three review appendices in the printed text. Additional reference appendices are available online.
- Updated Case Studies and completely new exercises.
Who Should Read This Book
Computer architects, computer system designers, compiler and system software developers, programmers, application developers
Online – download from our companion site (below)
App D: Storage Systems
App E: Embedded Systems
App F: Interconnection Networks
App G: Vector Processors
App H: Hardware and Software for VLIW and EPIC
App I: Large-Scale Multiprocessors and Scientific Applications
App J: Computer Arithmetic
App K: Survey of Instruction Set Architectures
App L: Historical Perspectives
Download all online appendices and ancillary materials from our companion page: